GARY HOLDINESS CYCLING FUND (GHCF)
PROMOTING CYCLING AND CYCLING SAFETY ON THE NATCHEZ TRACE PARKWAY
Through the Natchez Trace Parkway Assoc., the Gary Holdiness Cycling Fund (GHCF) promotes the Natchez Trace Parkway as one of the world’s premier bike routes. The fund supports projects designed to encourage all parkway visitors (motorists, cyclists and hikers) to respect other park visitors who may enjoy the national park resources at different speeds, so that everyone has a safe experience in the park.
Established in 2012 to honor the memory of cyclist and parkway supporter Dr. Gary Holdiness, the Gary Holdiness Cycling Fund (GHCF) has already served as the catalyst for several projects to save lives.
· Safety & Visibility: The LIGHT & SAFETY VEST program will provide 150 hi-viz lights and 300 hi-viz vests for Rangers to give cyclists they observe without this essential safety gear. The GHCF again contributed $5,000 for this project.
· Education & Information: With a grant from the MS Assoc of Broadcasters, we produced a PSA aired on all MS radio and TV stations across the state. Each cycling season we will work on re-airing of this PSA. The GHCF matched the grant with him $10,000 to produce the PSA.
· Signage: A study by the Park Service and a private survey company concluded the signage tested was very effective. So the recommendation is for signage in both directions every 15 miles. "Cyclist takes FULL LANE" is a sign we want to see fully implemented and need $5,000 to accomplish that goal.
· The 444 Ride has been approved for 2016 by the Park Service! This 2nd ride along the entire Trace will begin September 30 in Nashville and end in Natchez. It will be limited to 75 entries.
· Our plans for 2016 are to maintain our great relationship with the National Park Service. The management team in the Park is very committed to this cycling safety program.
Since 2016 is the 100 year anniversary of the park system, there is heavy advertising that includes cycling and cycling safety in the ads . So, I also encourage you to "Discover Your Park". It's right here in our backyard!
For more info on the Gary Holdiness Cycling Fund or the Natchez Trace Parkway Association visit the website at www.Natcheztrace.org/Gary-Holdiness-cycling-fund
Bikes, Blues & Bayous has evolved to be a great event, but we want to do even more! For 2015, we are increasing our financial support of the Gary Holdiness Cycling Fund to honor the memory of Dr. Gary Holdiness, our friend and fellow cyclist from Kosciusko, Mississippi. All of the profits from the sale of the BBB CYCLING JERSEY will be donated to the fund. Know that your purchases go for a great cycling cause and have a positive impact way beyond the BBB ride in Greenwood. You can go to the REGISTER link to make a purchase, and sign up for the ride, too. Thank you for your support.